Sunday, November 5, 2017

Sunday Sketch with Mary and Kathleen

Hi friends!  

I'm back with our Sunday Sketch challenge this week along with my teammate, Kathleen, to give you two amazing projects to get your creative juices flowing!

We sure hope you'll join in on the fun.  All you have to do is create a project based on the sketch, and post it on the CTK gallery and/or Facebook CTK Fans page with today's date in the title.  Personally I am totally itching to see what you make :)


When I saw this sketch I immediately thought of two ways I could take interpret it with the November "Stories" kit.  One was to use up a ton of the Boys Fort Phrase Stickers by Pinkfresh Studio lining them in strips and the other was to cut the beautiful stripes up from the Shimelle Glitter Girl "Work Hard" paper...and you know...I plan...I really try to...but it never turns out the way I originally intend.  



I quickly realized that the bold colors would be too strong for the photos I wanted to use, however the woodgrain definitely complimented the scenery.  So knowing I needed to go in a different direction I went digging through my kit to find another paper that would add a touch of color but not distract too much and I opted for the B-side of the Crate Paper Maggie Holmes Carousel "Festival" paper.  


I backed all the strips with some white tissue paper to add another subtle texture layer.  I especially loved the little pops of color I revealed by bending up the bottoms of the strips to reveal the back sides of these pretty patterned papers.  



The colors were almost and exact match to my 4-year old daughter's T-Rex costume as well as my son's Star Wars shooter thingy (I'm totally not into boy lingo...my son would be so ashamed if he knew)...


To follow the sketch I added a rectangle of the Crate Paper 1Canoe2 Creekside "Chicory" paper which was the perfect shade of blue for the amazing Halloween sunset going on in the background.  



Once all the paper layering was done I felt like playing with my Shimmerz mists.  These are from my stash but in case you would like to use the same combination on a layout I'll give you my secret recipe: "Glorious Day" Vibez, "Cotton Candy" Spritz, and "Sunset Strip" Spritz.  I use "Glorious Day" on almost every bright color to tone it down a bit when I'm going for a more earthy look.  It's definitely a go-to for me. 


 Look at that shimmer!


The last step was to sprinkle some glittery stars around the page from the Dear Lizzy Stargazer glitter teal thickers sheet and do some light stamping with the exclusive Citrus Twist 3"x4" inch stamp in clustered areas to give the layout a little more depth and interest.  


Aren't my little monsters adorable?!  Yes that's me in the ghost costume.  #5minutestowinning 


And here's another look at the full layout!



I'm so glad you got to join me today.  You can find a complete process for this layout here as well as the most adorable clip of "Rexy" in action.  

XO,
Mary


And now here's Kathleen's take on the sketch (which is amazeballs if you ask me!):





Hey there :) Kathleen here with my take on this Sunday Sketch. I love how Mary interpreted it and went into a very different direction from what I have done. But if you read Mary’s text, you will find that (unknowingly) I went with one of her initial ideas.

I did start my layout by cutting some paper strips from some of the patterned papers from the November Scrapbook Main, but it just didn’t feel right. I kept pushing them around on my page until I had a lightbulb moment when I saw the phrase stickers from the Pinkfresh Studio “Boys Fort“ collection. 



So instead of the paper strips I used a bunch of the phrase stickers and layered them in a way to recreate the look of the paper strips in the sketch. I selected all those phrase stickers that would fit my photo of my fiancé and our little doggo.



As you can see, apart from that, I stuck very closely to the original sketch. The only things I changed are the placement of the journaling and that vertical strip of sewn paper which I substituted with some pieces from the die cut package that was included in the Scrapbook Main kit. 
I used one of the smaller tags to add my journaling and also layered two of those cute leave die cuts behind my photo. 


The bold look of the black and white phrase stickers fits my photo really well and also makes the page a little bit more masculine (I think). And it was also a great way to use up a bunch of them at once. Because there are so many of those phrase stickers included in the package, I still have lots left even after this layout ;)

I hope you feel inspired by today’s sketch and Mary’s and mine very different interpretations to now make your own! Don’t forget to share them in the CTK gallery and/or Facebook CTK Fans page!
Thanks for stopping by!
Kathleen

1 comment:

  1. Love this!! So much great inspiration girls!! Have to give it a go!! Thanks so much!! xo

    ReplyDelete