Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Tuesday Tutorial with Brooke Takara


Happy Tuesday CTK friends!


Thank you so much for joining me for today's tutorial, which is actually more of a walk-through of my process for creating a hybrid art journal/scrapbook spread. 


This method of memory-keeping has become a fast favorite for me.  In my opinion, it is THE perfect place to house the scraps of paper you can't bear to throw away, or the doodled leaf you wanted to practice, or even just random thoughts.  This is even a great way to try out new techniques for your scrapbook pages or get that layout idea you have floating around in your head down on paper, by playing with paper.


Let's get started!




I started by creating burst shapes in a pretty green color to mimic leaves from my backyard.  While the green paint was still wet, I dropped in a yellow paint and let the two colors mix together to create a marble effect.




Next, I added in more watercolor doodles and splatters, along with pieces of patterned paper.  Yellow patterned paper is always a win for me!




One of my favorite embellishments to use on projects are hand-cut leaves.  I like the whimsy they add and they're super simple to make, which, for this drawing-challenged person, is a super plus! 




I added in thin blue watercolor lines to add direction and movement.  I think the lines keep your eyes moving around the page nicely.  At this point, I also added in thin strips of patterned paper mostly because I wanted a darker neutral color.  I was careful to cut the portions of the paper with the darker grey shapes.




Fussy-cut flowers are sort of a given with me.  If there's a big floral patterned paper, you can bet I'll be hand-cutting those flowers out to use as embellishments.  I chose to layer the flowers in only the bottom two starburst clusters to anchor the entire spread.




The super cute little puffy stickers were added and then I finished this project off with my journaling.  This photo absolutely warms my heart.  My daughter was chosen to be one of the island princesses at her May Day program and she'd basically been waiting for this day the entire year!  She made sure I got a photo of her with her "sassy pose".  So priceless!!


Here's a look at the finished spread...




...and a few more detail photos...






And that's it!


Lots of layering and randomness and just having fun with pretty scrapbooking supplies!


I hope you're inspired to create something right this second! 


Go ahead...use up those scraps of paper and leftover stickers from your May kits because the June kits are right around the corner!! ;)


Thanks so much for stopping by and have an awesome Tuesday!!

1 comment: