Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Tuesday Tutorial: Easy Layers Using 6 x 6 Paper

It's Trina here with the Tuesday Tutorial. I'm here to share 6 x 6 paper play with you today. For those of you who have leftover 6 x 6 pads, this is a great way to use that paper. One of my favorite things about scrapbooking with 6 x 6 paper is that I get a smaller version (reduced-size) of the full-size collections that I love. The petite patterns can be just perfect, especially when you use them with small polaroid-style prints like these.

I used 6 x 6 paper from the September Pocket Life kit--Crate Paper Notes & Things--mixed together with elements from the September Main kit, too. Here is the finished layout:

Because I liked this lined chevron paper I decided to cut some triangles to layer over my photos. I have lots of chevrons left over for other projects:

I worked on this layout during a weekend away at a family wedding. I brought my compact Instax printer from Fujifilm to print photos straight off of my iPhone. I use the Instax Share phone app so I can easily access the small portable printer. (The printer easily fits in my purse!) To create my layers I set the Instax polaroid photo over white cardstock and trimmed around the picture. Each layer is slightly larger than the layer above it. Two of the layers were cut from the white crepe paper that came in this month's Free Spirit Main kit.

Before I glued my layers together I ran my fingernail along the edges to rough them up and purposely tore some of them a little so the patterned layers behind could peek through:

Here is a close up so you can see what my distressed edges look like once I'm done running my fingernail over them:

I used a cut out of this cute little bird from one of the 6 x 6 paper pieces for a corner embellishment. I used the same layering technique, cutting the back layer slightly larger than the overlapping layer, then distressing the edges:

It was hard to resist using the cork stars and metallic sequins that came in the Free Spirit kit. I glued some to the background and stitched down others. Shimelle's new reverse date roller stamp is fun to use:

I hope this little layer tutorial inspires you to use your leftover scraps or 6 x 6 paper to create your own easy layers.

Trina

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful layout! Love the layering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! Those 6x6 papers were calling out to be used in layering. :)

      Delete
  2. this is perfection! i love it so much trina! :)

    ReplyDelete