Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Tuesday tutorial - make your own enamel dots

Hello hello! Jen here and today I am sharing a little tutorial on how to make your own enamel dots - with perler beads. You might remember these from your childhood if you're like me, placing them carefully on the little plates with a pair of tweezers then ironing them to bond together. I raided my daughter's craft basket for these goodies. You can pick them up at most craft supply stores.

 You will also need a sheet tray and parchment paper.

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and line a pan with parchment paper (don't use waxed paper). Place the beads carefully upright on the tray. I found a pair of tweezers worked best.

Carefully transfer to the oven and bake for 30 minutes.

When they are done they will look like this! Super cute right?

 I used the April kits to create this layout featuring my enamel dots, as well as some from the add-on kit. They are just the perfect embellishment for pages!


I think they add a great touch. I hope you'll try this technique today, it's super fun! Thanks for stopping by.




25 comments:

  1. What?!!!! NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jen, you are a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. STUNNING!
    I have to try this. So cool...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super page, Jen! Thanks for the tutorial. I need to go raid the craft cabinet now...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I think I'll try this :) My kids won't miss any of their beads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing job Jen! <3 this idea!! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been seeing this all over lately! Time to raid my girls' game/craft closet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome page, Jen and I thanks for the idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHAT an incredibly cool idea! thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. cant wait to get to the craft store!
    Super great idea
    tfs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks a lot !!! Great idea !!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had seen this on Pinterest but never gave it a try.... Maybe now I will since they look so good on your page :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks a lot !!!! good idea
    but the temperature of your oven is in celsius or fahrenheit ?
    thanks from France

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this idea. Love the pops of color and I am happy to find a use for the beads instead of just vacuuming them up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have two huge jars of those beads and have done a batch already - with mixed results. Some went into rings but DD like those better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I should have said - thanks for sharing this!

      Delete
  15. Merci pour cette super idée :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mine are in the oven as we speak! I did white so I could use copics to color them to match my project. Let's see how that turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok...I am seriously impressed! What an amazing idea! How on earth did you realise they'd melt into cute little dropplets? Brilliant! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  18. If you want larger ones get the jumbo perler beads for smaller children. You can also use pony beads in various sizes. The perler ones look closer to enamel dots and the pony beads have more of a shine.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Also VERY important. Make sure your kitchen is WELL ventilated. Fumes can give you a massive headache and are not good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I tried this today. Bought perler beads and put them in for 325 for 30 minutes and they didn't look like enamel beads. Not even after an hour. I had parchment paper and lined them up... :(

    ReplyDelete