Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Guessing Game #8: Tuesday Tutorial with Nathalie

As promised, I am back today to share a new page with the October "Carefree" add-on kit as well as a quick tutorial:
"September in numbers"
nathalie_septemberinnumbersbanner_CTKoct2013
Those who follow me know that I have been summarizing our lives with numbers every month since the start of the year and the speech bubble paper in this kit was screaming to be used for that purpose :)

KIT USED: October "Carefree" kit
NON-KIT ITEMS: chipboard numbers and arrow, Basic Grey and October Afternoon alphas, navy thread, Prima ink in Old Road (in the CTK store)

nathalie_septemberinnumberscloseup2_CTK2013

You know that hand stitched words are all the rage right now and rather than buy templates, I create my own. Here's how I stitched my title and how you can stitch any word you'd like on your layout:

1/ Pick a "thick" font and print your word directly onto vellum or tracing paper in light grey. I used the font Bebas (download it for free HERE) and wrote "September" in size 70:

2/ Place your printed word where you want to stitch it on your page (you can secure the vellum with washi tape if you'd like) and with a paper piercer, make holes along the edges of each letter:
nathalie_tutorial1

3/ Take the vellum off, separate your floss (I used two strand here), and start stitching with a backstitch:
tutorial2

- and that's it! I love how it adds so much texture to my page. Here is a close up of my finished title:
nathalie_septemberinnumberscloseup_CTkoct2013

I hope to have inspired you to get your needles out (or to start counting!)
Happy scrapping!

7 comments:

  1. Love it! I've never thought of my life in numbers, but that is awesome! I'm trying to think how to incorporate this into my December Daily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that layout Nathalie! i too create my own templates with fonts... so much cheaper ;) love what you did with the speech bubbles paper (Amy Tan - Cut & Paste right?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so clever, love all the speech bubbles as well. Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cute layout Nathalie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Nathalie! The hand stitching is amazing! :) I would love to incorporate more stitching on my projects, but am way too lazy to do it! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. My Goodness. AWESOME technique! Gotta do this! Love the Amy Tangerine Cut & Paste paper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the template idea!!! save lots of money :)

    ReplyDelete